What we do
Independent Schools Victoria:
- advocates for excellence in education
- champions Member Schools
- supports quality education
- protects the right of parents to choose where and how their children are educated.
Our more than 200 Member Schools are diverse, reflecting various religious affiliations and educational philosophies. Enrolments at individual schools range from 20 students to more than 2000. Most schools are in and around Melbourne with a third scattered throughout Victoria.
More than 125,000 students, almost 15 per cent of Victorian students, attend Independent primary and secondary schools. Our Member Schools are independently managed within Victorian and Australian Government policy guidelines and regulations. Independent schooling in Victoria began more than 160 years ago.
All Australian schools need government financial support to build an education system that serves a creative, modern, diverse and prosperous nation. Independent Schools Victoria works with the Australian and Victorian governments on national and state issues to achieve a more equitable, choice-oriented and efficient means of funding students’ learning.
We promote excellence in education by:
- pursuing fair and efficient delivery of funding for the Independent sector
- delivering funded programs for government initiatives
- collaborating nationally and internationally facilitating research and providing benchmarking programs.
Independent Schools Victoria empowers Member Schools to be leaders in education and protects and promotes their interests by:
- explaining to governments and the community the values of Independent education and the importance of schools’ autonomy
- delivering employment relations services providing governance and compliance information to ensure government regulations and accountability are met advising on legislative and regulatory requirements
- offering cost-effective products and services, including group purchasing to reduce costs
- representing the sector on key state and national advisory groups
- enhancing expertise through professional learning at all levels of leadership, teaching and administration investigating
- implementing national and international educational best practice.
We celebrate and promote our members’ individual and collective contribution to Australian society.
Share this page
Michelle Green, Chief Executive
To achieve our Vision, we assist Member Schools to continue providing quality education outcomes. Representing and supporting Independent schools in Victoria, we are dedicated to achieve the highest standards.