Independent Schools Victoria logo
Home page
Who We Are Managing a School Teachers Online Talking About Education Services
Applying for funding Compliance framework Employment relations Governance guidelines Applying for funding Members' area Student services

Compliance Framework

Education authority accountability
School operations
Employment relations

Excursions and Camps

Advice related to the planning and conducting of excursions, incursions, camps and overseas travel.

Please scroll to the bottom of the page for contacts and links

Do you need to comply?

Yes - if your school is conducting excursions, incursions, camps or overseas student travel.

Conditions of compliance

Principals, teachers, school board members and others involved in school excursions, including camps and adventure activities, must anticipate the possibility of litigation following an incident or injury. They must be prepared for a detailed examination of all their actions, their planning and the curriculum role of the particular activity.

Principals, who are responsible for the conduct of all excursions, must ensure that full records are maintained and that adequate pre-excursion planning and preparation, including the preparation of students, takes place.

If you have to comply, what do you have to do?

You should consider some or all of the following:

  • Selection of venue
  • Check travel advisories at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) website before travelling overseas
  • Excursion emergency management processes
  • The needs of students with disabilities
  • Availability of excursion documentation
  • Communication during an emergency
  • First-aid
  • Parental/guardian approval
  • Student medical information
  • Supervision of students (excursion staff, instructors, staff-student ratios)
  • Use of private motor vehicles
  • Adventure activities
  • Swimming and water safety programs (including emergency procedures and safety measures; staff qualifications; staff-student ratios; student experience; type of venue and activity).

What are the consequences if you don't comply?

The possibility of litigation if an incident or injury was to occur

Who will help you?

Independent Schools Victoria contact:

Peter Roberts
Director, School Services
Ph. 03 9825 7211

Kieren Noonan
School Services Advisor
Ph. 03 9825 7275

Share this page

Documents for download

(Please note that all links open in new browser windows)

PDF icon Independent Schools Victoria: Minimising Risks for your overseas travellers
PDF icon DEECD: Student Activity Locator

Links and Resources

(Please note that all links open in new browser windows)

Worldwide web icon Vic DET: School Policy and Advisory Guide - Excursions and Activities
Worldwide web icon Vic DET: Recreational Swimming Activity Guidelines
Web Icon Vic DET: School Policy and Advisory Guide - Staffing and Supervision
Worldwide web icon Vic DET: Schools Policy and Advisory Guide - Safety, Emergency and Risk Management
Web Icon International SOS
Worldwide web icon Victorian Outdoor Education Association
Worldwide web icon Kidsafe Victoria: Child Restraint Laws
Worldwide web icon Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade: Smartraveller
Worldwide web icon Department of Health: Travel Health Information


Other minimum standards

Schools, through a Risk Management Policy, should establish a comprehensive system of risk management, risk oversight, compliance and internal control.

Terms of use | Sitemap | Contact | Privacy

To top of page

Submitted 4/24/2006, edited 23/03/2015