There are many opportunities for teachers to access professional learning including seminars & workshops, post-graduate qualifications and online learning. The Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) requires all registered teachers to engage in professional learning as a condition of ongoing registration. The requirements are outlined here.
Independent Schools Victoria offers a broad range of professional learning programs including briefings, seminars, workshops and training related to Curriculum / Pedagogy, Literacy and ESL, Numeracy, Languages, Student Services and Vocational Services.
Australian Government funding supports additional school-based professional learning programs through Australian Government Quality Teaching Program (AGQTP) and Literacy, Numeracy and Languages Specialist Consultancy programs.
Pdi is a professional learning search engine identifying professional learning opportunities throughout Victoria. Many professional learning providers advertise their programs here.
The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) has developed a range of professional learning resources available through their website. Of note are:
Curriculum Planning Professional Learning
The Curriculum Planning Modules assist schools to:
- Develop whole school curriculum plans and program plans for students that reflect a strong understanding of the Victorian Essential Learning Standards, the Principles of Learning and Teaching P – 12 and the Assessment and Reporting Advice, based on the school profile.
- Develop a whole school curriculum plan that reflects the needs of the school community.
- Develop program plans for students that will best support their learning.
Two modules offer learning activities, professional reading and facilitator’s notes:
- Whole school curriculum planning to suit our students
- Planning programs for cohorts of students
Assessment Professional Learning Modules
These Modules developed by DEECD aim to assist teachers to:
- Understand the Assessment Advice and assessment principles including the distinctions between, and importance of,
Assessment of learning
Assessment for learning and
Assessment as learning and how these impact on learning and pedagogy;
- Audit ways in which they currently incorporate the Assessment Advice into their practice;
- Design assessment tasks that monitor students’ progress towards the achievement of the Victorian Essential Learning Standards;
- Design assessment processes that provide feedback into teaching programs to improve student learning; and
- Make more consistent teacher judgments about student learning using the Standards.
The modules have been designed as a flexible resource which can be tailored to meet the needs of individual schools.
Principles of Learning and Teaching (PoLT) Professional Learning
PoLT Online Professional Learning Resource
The Principles of Learning and Teaching articulate six principles that can be used by schools, teams of teachers and individuals to reflect on practice and support professional dialogue to strengthen pedagogical practices
The PoLT online resource developed by DEECD focuses primarily on extending teacher knowledge and supporting the development of skills to be implemented within individual classrooms. This resource is flexible in that it can be used by individual teachers or in facilitated groups. The PoLT online Professional Learning Resource is structured around ‘Guiding Questions' based on the key themes of each of the components. The other sections of the Resource support teachers to explore theory and develop strategies which will assist them in considering and addressing the guiding questions and themes within their own classrooms.
The e5 Instructional Model
This resource is a reference point for school leaders and teachers to develop a deeper understanding of what constitutes high quality teacher practice in the classroom. Support materials include the model itself, using the model, getting started with the model and more.
eLearning refers to the exploration and integration of a broad range of information and communication technologies (ICT) into learning and teaching to improve student learning outcomes. These new learning environments may be interactive or accessed online from home or in the community. The inclusion of eLearning in the curriculum enhances a school's learning and teaching program and gives students new and valuable learning experiences.
Literacy and Numeracy
For all Victorian students to have the best opportunities possible, it is essential for educators and schools to maintain and extend a focus on literacy and numeracy education as the foundation for success in all other areas. To this end, DEECD has developed a series of new initiatives and resources that demonstrate this strong commitment and will support ongoing improvement in the literacy and numeracy outcomes of all Victorian students. Resources include:
- Key Characteristics of Effective Literacy Teaching
- Key Characteristics of Effective Numeracy Teaching
More information about professional learning can be found at The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA).
Share this page