Australian Government Recurrent Grants
Schools receiving Australian Government General Recurrent Grants must account for those grants both financially and educationally.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page for contacts and links
Do you need to comply?
Yes, if your school is entitled to receive Australian Government funding.
Conditions of compliance
Australian Government funding for schools is governed by the Australian Education Act 2013 and associated regulations. This Act sets out the purposes of the General Recurrent Grants (GRG) Program, and specifies the use of funds and accountability requirements.
If you have to comply, what do you have to do?
The Act specifies a range of commitments and accountabilities that are conditions for the provision of grant funds:
- Implementation of the Australian Teacher Performance and Development Framework
- Provision of staff access to ongoing professional development consistent with the Australian Charter for the Professional Learning of Teachers and School Leaders
- Develop and publish a School Improvement Plan by 1 January 2016, which outlines how the school is working to improve student performance
- Implementing the Australian Curriculum or an alternative curriculum formally approved by ACARA
- Participating fully in the National Assessment Program
- Providing School Census Data
- Providing School Performance Data (to ACARA)
- Completing an Annual Report and making it available publicly
- Providing to parents a minimum of two compliant student reports annually
- National reports on the outcome of schooling
- Ensuring the school complies with relevant disability discrimination laws of the Commonwealth and Victoria
- Financial reporting.
Schools will need to confirm that they have met these conditions of funding by completing an annual Compliance Certificate.
The Act also requires that the Department of Education must be notified in writing of any significant changes in circumstances relating to the Approved Authority of the School, by the completion of the Approved Authority Application Form. This may include changes to:
- The legal entity that acts as the Approved Authority for the school
- The location of school campuses
- Year levels for which the school is authorised to provide education
- People within the school who are authorised to sign documents, submit information and make statements on behalf of the Approved Authority
A copy of the Approved Authority Application Form is available on the School Entry Point (SEP) website.
Schools receiving Australian Government GRGs are required to complete the Non-Government Schools Financial Questionnaire and the annual Census.
Schools receiving Australian Government GRGs must account for the grants both financially and educationally.
Financial accountability requires the submission of a Financial Accountability certificate, signed by a person who is authorised to sign on behalf of the school authority and a qualified accountant (independent of the school) stating that the funds have been expended in the program year and in accordance with the relevant agreement. The certificate is provided and lodged electronically through the Department of Education’s Schools Service Point (SSP).
Educational accountability involves the following:
- Participation in the Annual National Report on Schooling (ANR) (if selected) including the provision of reports of a kind required by the Minister addressing the requirements for performance information that are set out in the Regulations as in force from time to time
- The provision of other reports as required by the Minister in relation to financial assistance provided under the Act
- Participation in evaluations of the outcomes of programs of financial assistance.
What are the consequences if you don’t comply?
You may be in breach of theAustralian Education Act 2013 (Cth.) The Minister may delay or deny the payment of grants to the school.
Independent Schools Victoria contact:
Manager, Funding and Accountability
Ph. 03 9825 7228
Documents for Download
ISV: Funding Briefing for Members booklet (members’ area password required)