Conveyance allowances are available to eligible students attending government and non-government schools in all country and designated outer metropolitan areas and apply to travel by public transport, private bus and private car.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page for contacts and links
Do you need to comply?
Yes if your school receives payments from the Victorian Government Department of Education and Training (Vic DET) on behalf of parents and students.
Conditions of compliance
Refer to the Vic DET Conveyance Allowance documents and to the points below for further information.
If you have to comply, what do you have to do?
- Submit a claim form for reimbursement by the specified dates.
- Manage the day-to-day administration of conveyance allowances at the school level.
- Schools are responsible for any overpayments arising from the payment of an allowance, when this is later found to be outside of the guidelines.
- As part of their audits, schools are to report on compliance with Vic DET‘s guidelines and note any case of overpayment. Auditors must report on a sample of twenty applications or 20 per cent of all applications, whichever is the greater.
- It is essential for audit purposes that schools retain the application forms signed by parents/guardians for a period of six years. There is no requirement to forward copies of the application forms along with the school’s claim form to receive reimbursement.
- Independent schools are to forward a certificate from the school’s auditor or an extract from the school audit concerning compliance with these guidelines to Vic DET.
- Vic DET transport officers will undertake a sample audit of school claims each year. Schools will be randomly selected in order that individual claim forms can be checked for compliance.
What are the consequences if you don’t comply?
Failure to provide such information can result in a school’s claim for reimbursement being deferred until adequate information is provided.
Independent Schools Victoria contact:
Director, School Services
Ph. 03 9825 7211
Manager, Funding and Accountability
Ph. 03 9825 7228
Links and Resources
Vic DET: Student Transport