Town Planning

Information related to State and local planning schemes.

Please scroll to the bottom of the page for contacts and links

Do you need to comply?

Probably, depending on the size and nature of any proposed projects.

Conditions of compliance

The planning scheme controls land use and development within a municipality. It contains State and local planning policies, zones and overlays and other provisions that affect how land can be used and developed.

The planning scheme will indicate if a planning permit is required to change the use of land, or to construct a building or make other changes to the land.

Every municipality has its own planning scheme.

Planning policies are determined under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic.) and the Planning and Environment Regulations 1998 (Vic.). State planning policies are concerned with issues such as urban consolidation and neighbourhood character, while local planning policies are concerned with issues of regional or local significance. The council must take into account both the State and local planning policies when making a planning decision.

If you have to comply, what do you have to do?

You should be familiar with the planning scheme applicable to your location, particularly the following components of the Victorian Planning Scheme:

  • State Planning Policy Framework
  • Local Planning Policy Framework
  • Zones
  • Overlays
  • Particular provisions
  • General provisions
  • Definitions
  • Incorporated documents.

(Explanations of these terms are contained in the Independent Schools Victoria document ‘An Introduction to Planning for Independent Schools‘.

You should also be familiar with the processes involved in obtaining a planning permit from your local municipal council.

What are the consequences if you don’t comply?

You could encounter difficulties in obtaining approval for your project.

Who will help you?

Independent Schools Victoria contact:

Peter Roberts
Director, School Services
Ph. 03 9825 7211

Kieren Noonan
School Services Advisor
Ph. 03 9825 7275

Documents for Download

PDFISV: An Introduction to Planning for Independent Schools

PDFVic DET: Town Planning Guidelines for Non-Government Schools

PDFPlanning: A Short Guide 2007

Links and Resources

External linkDepartment of Planning and Community Development: Melbourne’s green wedges

External linkDepartment of Planning and Community Development: Contact Planning

InformationYou should also seek independent town planning advice