Issues such as buildings and grounds, and essential services maintenance.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page for contacts and links
Do you need to comply?
Yes, if your school consists of any materials containing asbestos.
Conditions of compliance
The Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2007 (Vic.) aim is to prevent asbestos related disease among employees likely to be exposed to airborne asbestos in the workplace.
If you have to comply, what do you have to do?
The Regulations require employers and occupiers with fixed asbestos in buildings or plant undertake a process of:
- identifying whether asbestos is present in the workplace (e.g. building, structure, plant)
- assessing the risk of exposure of employees to the asbestos
- controlling any risk of exposure
- clearly indicate the presence and location of asbestos in the workplace.
Any maintenance, refurbishment, demolition or capital works involving the removal or disturbance of asbestos must be carried out by contractors approved by the Victorian WorkCover Authority. Schools should check that these contractors have the required level of public liability and current asbestos insurance, and that the asbestos-removal activities comply with the Regulations.
Under the Regulations, occupiers and employers have a number of duties including, but not restricted to:
- maintain an asbestos register
- provision of information, instruction and training to employees
- consultation, if practicable, with the health and safety representative
- maintenance and retention of records related to asbestos issues.
What are the consequences if you don’t comply?
You may be in breach of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2007 (Vic.).
Who will help you?
Independent Schools Victoria contact:
Director, School Services
Ph. 03 9825 7211
School Services Advisor
Ph. 03 9825 7275
Documents for Download
Links and Resources
Vic DET: Asbestos Management Plan
Vic DET: Hazardous Building Materials
WorkSafe Victoria: Asbestos Register