Plant and Machinery
Issues such as compliance, safety in the curriculum and workplace bullying.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page for contacts and links
Do you need to comply?
Yes – under the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (2004) and the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations (2007).
Conditions of compliance
The primary objective of the Occupational Health and Safety (Plant) Regulations 1995 (Vic.) is to protect people against the risks that plant and associated systems of work can pose to their health and safety.
The type of plant usually found in schools that is subject to these regulations is powered machinery (not hand or portable powered tools such as drills) including ride on mowers, tractors and lifts.
If you have to comply, what do you have to do?
To comply with the requirements of the Plant Regulations, your school must undertake the following actions:
- Identify and list all items of plant in the school.
- Identify the hazards associated with the plant
- Assess the risk of an injury arising from each hazard
- Control the risk
- Develop management plans including training and maintenance.
- The hazard identification, risk assessment and control process should be undertaken in conjunction with users of the plant and the relevant Health and Safety Representative (HSR).
- Each step in the process must be documented
- Some items of plant such as lifts and pressure vessels may require registration with the Victorian WorkCover Authority.
Plant typically found in schools
Technology: Buzzer, Table saw, Thicknesser, Bandsaw, Cross-cut saw, Spindle moulder, Horizontal borer, Drill press, Grinder, Linisher, Wood lathe, Drop saw, Engine lathe, Milling machine, Power saw
Art: Pug mill, Potters wheel
General: Tractor, Ride on mower
What are the consequences if you don’t comply?
You could be penalised under breaches of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic.).
Who will help you?
Independent Schools Victoria contact:
Director, School Services
Ph. 03 9825 7211
School Services Advisor
Ph. 03 9825 7275
Links and Resources
Vic DET: Plant and Equipment (contains links to Acts, Regulations, Codes of Practice and other support material)
Vic DET: Plant and Equipment Risk Management
Vic DET: Student Health