Excursions and Camps
Advice related to the planning and conducting of excursions, incursions, camps and overseas travel.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page for contacts and links
Do you need to comply?
Yes – if your school is conducting excursions, incursions, camps or overseas student travel.
Conditions of compliance
Principals, teachers, school board members and others involved in school excursions, including camps and adventure activities, must anticipate the possibility of litigation following an incident or injury. They must be prepared for a detailed examination of all their actions, their planning and the curriculum role of the particular activity.
Principals, who are responsible for the conduct of all excursions, must ensure that full records are maintained and that adequate pre-excursion planning and preparation, including the preparation of students, takes place.
If you have to comply, what do you have to do?
You should consider some or all of the following:
- Selection of venue
- Check travel advisories at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) website before travelling overseas
- Excursion emergency management processes
- The needs of students with disabilities
- Availability of excursion documentation
- Communication during an emergency
- Parental/guardian approval
- Student medical information
- Supervision of students (excursion staff, instructors, staff-student ratios)
- Use of private motor vehicles
- Adventure activities
- Swimming and water safety programs (including emergency procedures and safety measures; staff qualifications; staff-student ratios; student experience; type of venue and activity).
What are the consequences if you don’t comply?
The possibility of litigation if an incident or injury was to occur
Who will help you?
Independent Schools Victoria contact:
Director, School Services
Ph. 03 9825 7211
School Services Advisor
Ph. 03 9825 7275
Documents for Download
Vic DET: Student Activity Locator
Links and Resources
Kidsafe Victoria: Child Restraint Laws
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade: Smartraveller
Department of Health: Travel Health Information