Outside School Hours Care

Requirements for establishing an Outside School Hours Care operation.

Please scroll to the bottom of the page for contacts and links

Do you need to comply?

Yes, if your school operates, or is intending to operate an Outside School Hours Care (OSHC) service.

Conditions of compliance

As an operator of an OSHC service you must comply with the Children’s Services Act 1996 (Vic), the Children’s Service Regulations 2009 (Vic) and Child Wellbeing and Safety Act 2005 (Vic).

If you have to comply, what do you have to do?

  • You need to apply to the Victorian Government Department of Education and Training (Vic DET) for approval of your premises. Without this approval you cannot obtain a licence.
  • Complete an application for a licence and send it to the Vic DET Regional office in your area.
  • Maintain record keeping procedures including attendance, medication records, accidents, injuries, illness, trauma, staff rosters and records of programs provided.
  • Adhere to Staff requirements of child/staff ratios, minimum training requirements, qualifications, and criminal checks for non-teaching staff.

Under The Family Assistance Act 1999 (Cth), families may be eligible for Child Care Benefit (CCB) and the Child Care Rebate (CCR). This will depend on the individual circumstances of families. If a family is eligible, then your facility must be:

  • an approved childcare service that is licensed and has a Customer Reference Number (CRN), which registers your facility as approved for Child Care Benefit (CCB) purposes
  • meet the requirements of the National Quality Framework and comply with Commonwealth, state and local government laws and regulations.

What are the consequences if you don’t comply?

You may be in breach of the obligations under the Act, Regulations and Family Assistance law which could involve licence cancellation and sanctions imposed, including suspension of approved childcare benefits.

Who will help you?

Independent Schools Victoria contact:

Peter Roberts
Director, School Services
Ph. 03 9825 7211

Kieren Noonan
School Services Advisor
Ph. 03 9825 7275

Links and Resources

External linkAustralian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority – National Quality Framework

External linkAus DET: Information on becoming an Approved Child Care Service

External linkAus DET: Childcare Service Handbook

External linkAus DET: National Quality Framework for Early Childhood Education and Care

External linkVic DET: National Quality Framework

External linkVic DET: Application for Approval of Premises

External linkVic DET: Application for Licence

External linkVic DET: Child Care Benefit

External linkAustralian Government: My Child