Outside School Hours Care
Requirements for establishing an Outside School Hours Care operation.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page for contacts and links
Do you need to comply?
Yes, if your school operates, or is intending to operate an Outside School Hours Care (OSHC) service.
Conditions of compliance
As an operator of an OSHC service you must comply with the Children’s Services Act 1996 (Vic), the Children’s Service Regulations 2009 (Vic) and Child Wellbeing and Safety Act 2005 (Vic).
If you have to comply, what do you have to do?
- You need to apply to the Victorian Government Department of Education and Training (Vic DET) for approval of your premises. Without this approval you cannot obtain a licence.
- Complete an application for a licence and send it to the Vic DET Regional office in your area.
- Maintain record keeping procedures including attendance, medication records, accidents, injuries, illness, trauma, staff rosters and records of programs provided.
- Adhere to Staff requirements of child/staff ratios, minimum training requirements, qualifications, and criminal checks for non-teaching staff.
Under The Family Assistance Act 1999 (Cth), families may be eligible for Child Care Benefit (CCB) and the Child Care Rebate (CCR). This will depend on the individual circumstances of families. If a family is eligible, then your facility must be:
- an approved childcare service that is licensed and has a Customer Reference Number (CRN), which registers your facility as approved for Child Care Benefit (CCB) purposes
- meet the requirements of the National Quality Framework and comply with Commonwealth, state and local government laws and regulations.
What are the consequences if you don’t comply?
You may be in breach of the obligations under the Act, Regulations and Family Assistance law which could involve licence cancellation and sanctions imposed, including suspension of approved childcare benefits.
Who will help you?
Independent Schools Victoria contact:
Director, School Services
Ph. 03 9825 7211
School Services Advisor
Ph. 03 9825 7275
Links and Resources
Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority – National Quality Framework
Aus DET: Childcare Service Handbook
Vic DET: National Quality Framework
Vic DET: Application for Approval of Premises
Vic DET: Application for Licence
Vic DET: Child Care Benefit
Australian Government: My Child