Immunisation Certificates

Requirements before enrolling a primary school student.

Please scroll to the bottom of the page for contacts and links

Do you need to comply?

Yes – if your school is a primary school

Conditions of compliance

It is a legal requirement that a parent/guardian present an immunisation status certificate on enrolment to the primary school that the child will attend.

If you have to comply, what do you have to do?

The Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR) now issues a Child History Statement that can act as a school entry immunisation certificate in Victoria.

The Child History Statement is only valid as a school entry immunisation certificate if it contains the wording: “this child has received all vaccines required by 5 years of age” at the bottom of the statement. If the statement does not contain this line, it must not be accepted by a primary school, as the child’s immunisation status/records are incomplete. The parent will need to receive further information with regard to immunisations or to obtain a school entry immunisation certificate from the local council instead.

The valid Child History Statement that can act as a school entry immunisation certificate will be automatically posted out to parents after their child has received the four-year-old immunisations and is fully immunised. This can then be presented to the school on enrolment to primary school.

If a child moves schools, it is the parent’s/guardian’s responsibility to ensure that the immunisation certificate is transferred from one school to the other. A new school entry immunisation certificate is not required to be issued; the existing certificate should be transferred to the new school the child will be attending.

What are the consequences if you don’t comply?

There are potential health consequences as, according to DHS, “a record of a child’s immunisation status is invaluable in the event of a vaccine preventable disease outbreak in a school situation where it is imperative that children are quickly identified as being protected/not protected against a disease.”

Who will help you?

Independent Schools Victoria contact:

Elspeth Adamson
Manager, Student Services
Ph. 03 9825 7204

Peter Roberts
Director, School Services
Ph. 9825 7211

Links and Resources

External linkAustralian Childhood Immunisation Register website

TelephoneAustralian Childhood Immunisation Register – ph. 1800 653 809

External linkDepartment of Health, Victoria: Immunisation website

TelephoneDepartment of Health, Victoria: Immunisation Program: T: 1300 882 008