School and Student Numbers
The non-government school sector comprises Independent schools and systemic schools, which are groups of schools administered by a central organisation, for example Catholic parish schools.
In Victoria in 2014, there were:
- 208 Independent schools, enrolling 129,225 students
- 489 Catholic schools, enrolling 204,261 students
- 1520 government schools, enrolling 563,549 students.
The 208 Independent schools:
- enrolled 570.7 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- enrolled 2067.1 full-fee paying overseas students
- enrolled 3070.2 students with disabilities
- employed a full-time equivalent of 11,855.9 teachers
- employed a full-time equivalent of 5560.3 non-teaching staff
Some Independent schools have a particular religious or philosophical focus, and others are inter-denominational or non-denominational. The religious affiliation or guiding philosophy of Independent Schools Victoria’s Member Schools is as follows:
|School Affiliation||Number of Schools*|
|Assemblies of God||1|
|Seventh Day Adventist||7|
* Not all Independent schools are members of Independent Schools Victoria but some Catholic schools are members.