Appendix 3 – Performance Management
Set out below are some of the Key Performance Indicators for the Board, individual Board Members, the Chair and the Principal. It is important to stress that these questions are necessarily generic and therefore individual Schools should develop their own specific key performance indicators and questionnaires that are structured in accordance with their particular nature and values.
- Did the Board conduct a strategy planning meeting during the past year?
- Were the goals set out clearly?
- Have the goals set been achieved?
- If not, analyse why they were not achieved
- Was a suitable and effective action plan developed to implement the strategy?
- Who was charged with overseeing implementation of the action plan?
- Was the implementation plan monitored at regular intervals during the year?
- Is the skills matrix largely filled or unfilled?
- Is there a plan in place to ensure the skills matrix is filled over time?
- If so, what is the time frame? Is that satisfactory?
Board Information and Processes
- How often did the Board meet?
- What was the overall attendance level of Board Members?
- Did Members receive agendas and Board papers in good time to enable them to consider matters to be discussed at the Board meeting?
- Were proper Minutes of the Board meetings kept?
- Did they accurately reflect discussion?
- Were they circulated within a short time of the meeting?
- Were meetings effective?
- Were decisions, when made, clear and unambiguous?
- Overall, how well did the Board fulfil the Board’s Governance Charter?
Effective Communication and Teamwork
- Does the Board function well as a team?
- Does the Board as a whole have a good relationship with the Principal?
- Does senior management effectively communicate and function well as a team?
- How well does the Board get its message across to its constituents?
- Does the parent community know of the Board’s work?
- Is there room for improvement?
- How often did each of these committees meet?
- Did they fulfil their Charter in the conduct of the meetings?
- Were proper Minutes kept and circulated?
- Did they submit reports and recommendations?
- If so, were they clear and concise?
- Were they largely accepted or rejected by the Board?
Individual Board Members
- What is the Board Member’s understanding of the School’s business?
- What is the level of engagement by the Board Member?
- How constructive is the input by the Board Member?
- Does the Board Member bring expertise to bear on Board’s decision-making?
- How good is the Board Member’s strategic thinking capability?
- Is the Board Member’s attendance at Board’s meetings acceptable?
- Does the Board Member’s network outside the School operate for the benefit of the School?
- Are the Board Member’s skills in the following areas at an acceptable level?
- Relationship / People Skills
- Ability to speak in public
- Analytical / critical thinking
- Strategic vision / long term vision
- Responsibility / Accountability
- Financial / Economic knowledge
- Lateral thought processes
- Is the Chair well informed?
- Does the Chair act as a sounding board for other Board Members so they have confidence in the Chair?
- Does the Chair solicit Board Members’ comments? Do they actively seek out the Chair providing their ideas, feedback and views?
- Does the Chair ensure that new Board Members are supported and mentored?
- Does the Chair when necessary, counsel Board Members?
- What is the School community’s perception of the Chair?
- Are meeting agendas well-constructed?
- Are meetings well-conducted by the Chair?
- Is the Chair ‘on top’ of all issues?
- Does the Chair do all the talking?
- Does the Chair encourage discussion at meetings?
- Do Board Members leave meetings feeling that the meeting has been worthwhile?
- When decisions are made, does the Chair ensure that the resolution is clear and understood by everyone?
- How does the Chair perform at meetings of staff/parents/students?
- Is the Chair a member of all or any of the sub-committees?
- If not, does the Chair attend meetings of those sub-committees?
Relationship with the Principal
- Would you describe the relationship between the Chair and the Principal as:
- Does the Chair act as a sounding board for the Principal?
- Is there regular performance feedback between the Chair and Principal?
- Does the Chair seek regular briefings from the Principal?
- Does the Chair defend the Principal from unfair or unreasonable criticism?
- Does the Chair deal with valid criticism of the Principal promptly and fairly?
Relationship with the Chair
- Does the Principal have a good relationship with the Chair?
- Does the Principal brief the Chair regularly on managed and administrative matters?
- Does the Principal assist in preparation of Board meeting agendas?
- Does the Principal ensure that the Chair has sufficient information to ensure Board meetings are chaired effectively?
- How effective is the Principal in managing the School’s business?
- Does the Principal present adequate and timely information to the Board?
- Are Board Members able to form an accurate view of the School’s performance based upon information supplied by the Principal?
- Does the Principal encourage/discourage Board Members from visiting School premises?
- Does the Principal have a good relationship with senior management?
- Does the Principal meet the criteria set out in the Board Governance Charter?