Copyright Guidelines

Student reclining on cushions and reading a novel.Independent Schools Victoria has negotiated licence agreements with agencies selected by the Australian Government to collect and distribute copyright fees. This means that schools do not have to seek permission each time they need to make multiple copies of copyright material for educational purposes.

Material protected by copyright includes:

  • literary works: novels, textbooks, manuals, newspapers, magazines, song lyrics, databases
  • artistic works: paintings, sculpture, drawings, cartoons, photographs, maps, architecture
  • musical works: song music, jingles
  • dramatic works: plays, screenplays
  • films: cinematography, videos, DVDs, television
  • sound recordings: CD, DVD, vinyl, cassettes, MP3s
  • broadcasts: radio, television.

It is an infringement of copyright for any person to copy work in these categories without the permission of the copyright owner, except for specified purposes.

Copyright Licence Agreements have been put in place to allow copying of most works by schools without the need for permission from individual copyright owners each time. Schools can use the works or materials in the classroom and, in some cases, outside the classroom, provided no profit is made from the copied material. Information about exceptions to this rule is contained in the National Copyright Guidelines.

Under the Copyright Licence Agreement schools must participate in a survey to record their copyright usage once every eight to ten years, which provides information to reimburse copyright owners for the use of their materials.

Via Independent Schools Victoria, schools can choose to participate in annual coverage from the following agencies:

  • AMCOS – sheet music
  • AMCOS/ARIA – audio/video recording
  • APRA – public performance
  • CAL – print and digital copying
  • Roadshow – screening of Roadshow films for non-educational purposes ie camps, after school care, holiday programs, entertainment
  • Screenrights – for recording broadcasts off radio or TV.

Independent Schools Victoria invites schools to nominate which agreements they would like to be a part of each year. Participation in these agreements through Independent Schools Victoria or another body is recommended.

There are a number of other agencies that have their own license arrangements outside of the ones described above and these include PPCA, VI$COPY, CCLI and APRA Music on Hold and schools would need to contact them directly to gain coverage from them.

For information about the full Terms and Conditions of Copyright for schools and some commonly asked questions see the National Copyright Guidelines.

Links and Resources

External linkAustralian Copyright Council

External linkAustralian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society (AMCOS)

External linkAustralian Performing Rights Association (APRA)

External linkCopyright Agency Limited (CAL)


External linkScreenrights

External linkSmartcopying: National Copyright Guidelines

External linkVISCOPY